Small hard masses formed in the gallbladder or biliary tree.
- Age, gender, family history
- Obesity, diabetes, use of oral contraceptives, dyslipidemia
- Asymptomatic and often found by chance at an abdominal ultrasound
- Biliary colic: episodes of intense acute epigastric right hypocondrial pain (due to acute temporary blockage of a
bile duct) lasting few minutes to few hours, often triggered by a high-fat meal. It can occur sporadically. NO fever or jaundice are present.
- Cholecystitis or cholangitis due to blockage and infection of bile
- Pancreatitis due to blockage of the pancreatic duct
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Liver function tests
- Does not require any intervention
- Diclofenac 75 mg IM and/or
- Pethidine 50-100 mg IM
- Low-fat diet
- Refer for cholecystectomy after acute phase