General principles of management
- Admit all children with any danger sign, medical complications, pitting oedema or those who fail appetite
tests for inpatient care and treatment for complicated SAM.
- Keep them in a warm area separated from infectious children, or in a special nutrition area.
- Children with good appetite and no medical complications can be managed as outpatients for uncomplicated SAM.
- Adequate facilities and staff to ensure correct preparation of therapeutic foods, and to feed child regularly day and night, should be available.
- Accurate weighing machines and MUAC tapes should be available
- Proper records of feeds given and child’s measurements should be kept so that progress can be monitored
- Explain to patient/care-giver to handle the child gently