Enlargement of the prostate causing urinary symptoms.
Common in men above 50 years.
- Benign growth of prostate size, age related
- Obstructive symptoms: weak urine stream, straining at micturition, hesitancy, intermittency, sensation of
incomplete bladder emptying
- Irritative symptoms: frequent micturition especially during the night, urgency, urge incontinence
- Complications: acute urinary retention, frequent infections which may precipitate symptoms
- Urine analysis (blood, leucocytes)
- Renal function
- Abdominal ultrasound