The purpose of monitoring patients on ART is to assess:
- Response to ART and early detection of treatment failure
- Side effects and toxicity
The schedule of monitoring visits follow a pre-set calendar for the 1st one year after initiation of ART, i.e:
- At 1, 2 and 3 months from start of ART
- At 6, 9, 12 months
After 12 months from initiation of ART, the Differentiated Model of Care Delivery is followed, in which schedule and modalities of periodic checks are based on individual needs and characteristics of the patient.
The aim of this model is:
- A client centered approach, so that stable patients have spaced checks and fast tracks drug pick ups
- More efficient use of resources by avoiding overcrowding and long waiting times
- More focus on unstable/complex patients
(Refer to MOH HIV/ART guidelines for more details).
For children and adolescents: