The conditions appear early in life and affects the child’s social, cognitive, and language development. These disorders include autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, and Rett’s disorder.
AUTISTIC DISORDER (AUTISM)
- Children with this condition show marked impairment of social and emotional interaction with the people around them.
- The onset is in the first year of life.
- There is lack of language development, the child is inflexible and may have ritualistic behaviour.
- It is important to exclude medical conditions like cerebral palsy and hearing impairment.
- Clear diagnosis by an experienced specialist
- Family behavioural therapy
- Special school