Suicide is an unsuccessful attempt to end one’s own life.
CAUSES OF SUICIDE IN CHILDREN
- It is more common in adolescents following severe social problems or stress.
- A suicide attempt is used as a desperate attempt at conflict resolution
- influence of alcohol/drugs.
The following are general principles to observe for such patients:
- Urgently restore physical fitness, which is important for the person’s wellbeing.
- Once patient’s life is out of danger, take a full history without accusing the patient.
- Treat the patient with understanding and respect. An emphatic approach is very important if you are to win the confidence of the patient so that they will be able to tell you the true story.
- Regard every suicide attempt as serious. The next attempt may be successful. Do not regard an attempt as just attention seeking.
- Explore the underlying cause and counsel.
- Involve the parents.