There are no specific clinical features. Ideally all at risk neonates should have regular (3 hourly) blood sugar monitoring especially in the first 24 hours of birth.
This condition is common in:
- Low birth weight infants
- Small for gestational age
- Infants of diabetic mothers
- Any sick infant especially if not feeding
- Ensure early and adequate feeding for all babies.
- Give IV 10% dextrose 5ml/kg, repeat blood sugar in 30 minutes and give more dextrose and feed the baby to help maintain normal level. If not able to maintain blood sugar by feeding, continue with IV dextrose.