- This manifests as premenstrual discomfort in lower abdomen and back 7–10 days preceding menses. It gives a sensation of distension or pelvic engorgement. There is relief after flow begins.
- It is accompanied by nervous irritability, depression, headache, listlessness, and discomfort in breasts.
- Occasionally there is fluid retention.
A good history and physical examination are important for accurate diagnosis.
- Mild tranquillizers: Phenobarbitone 30mg nocte OR diazepam 5mg nocte.
- Norethisterone (progestin) 5mg BD orally days 19–26 of cycle for 3 cycles.