- These are usually benign and may occur in women of any age group. Menses are usually normal in simple cysts. Abnormal menses including amenorrhoea occur in functional cysts. Ovarian cysts may undergo torsion to cause acute
- A cystic mass in one or other side of pelvis is essential for diagnosis.
- Haemogram, urinalysis
- Plain abdominal x-ray may be useful in calcified tumours and some dermoid cysts
- Cysts greater than 4cm need laparotomy.
- Cystectomy or salpingo-oophorectomy and histology.
- Annual pelvic examination and ultrasound.