Therapeutic abortion is termination of pregnancy for medical indications
Method of Therapeutic Abortion
May be surgical or medical
- After 12 weeks: MVA or EVA
- In 13th–18th week, dilatation and evacuation (D&E) after cervical priming with misoprostrol 400μg for 3 hours.
- D&E should only be performed by skilled and experienced doctors.
In 13–22 weeks:
- Give mifepristone 200mg orally, followed after 36–48 hours by misoprostrol 400μg orally every 3 hours for 5 doses.
- Or misoprostrol 400μg orally every 3 hours for 5 doses.
Medication for therapeutic abortion
|Option||Gesta-tional age||Mifepristone Day 1||Misoprostol||Efficacy|
|Recommended option||Up to 9 weeks||200mg orally (one 200mg tablet)||800μg (four 200μg tablets)||Bucally or sub lingually||Day 3||95–98%|
|Other options||Up to 9 weeks||200mg orally (one 200mg tablet)||800μg (four 200μg tablets)||Vaginally||Day 2 or 3||93–97%|
|200mg orally (one 200mg tablet)||800μg (four 200μg tablets) Repeat after +7 days if not aborted||Vaginally||6–24 hours||95–98%|
|Up to 7 weeks||200mg orally (one 200mg tablet)||400μg (two 200μg tablets)||Orally||Day 2 or 3||89–93%|
Sources: Ashok, 2002; Britton, 2007; Creinin, 2004; Middleton, 2005; Shannon, 2006; Tang,
2003; von Hertzen, 2003; WHO, 2000.