A thorough examination of the patient with digital rectal examination are critical for identifying the cause of anal incontinence. The following have been associated with anal incontinence:
- Congenital abnormalities.
- Trauma to the sphincters and anorectal ring, injuring them (obstetric, operative, abuse and accidental).
- Neurological abnormalities (due to spinal cord disease).
- Anorectal disease (rectal prolapse, third degree haemorrhoids and anorectal cancer).
- Thoroughly examine the patient locally.
- Do a rectal examination using a proctoscope.
- Is that of predisposing condition?
- Management as per the primary cause.